Don’t Miss the Smithsonian African American Film Festival From October 24th – 27th
The Smithsonian African American Film Festival is a multi-day cinematic experience celebrating African American visual culture and film. Held October 24th through the 27th at the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, the festival will include historic films alongside contemporary works by some of the brightest emerging and veteran filmmakers.
The event will also feature a juried competition, discussions with filmmakers and scholars, and presentations on filmmaking and editing. Individual screening tickets are $10, Screening Passes are $125, and Festival Passes are $300. Check out the schedule of events below:
Wednesday, October 24th:
- Integration Report One and Black Panthers
- Malcolm X: Struggle for Freedom and Perfect Film
- The Great Migration Home Movie Digitization Project
- This Little Light – Competition!
- Radicalism Revisited: Selections from “Say It Loud” – Guest Program
- Sprinter – Competition!
- Color Us Black!
- This is Not a “Political” Film… Part I – Guest Program
- Opening Night Film
Thursday, October 25th:
- This is Not a “Political” Film… Part II – Guest Program
- Say Her Name – Program
- Cane River – D.C. Premiere!
- H-2 Worker
- Gilda Brasileiro – Against Oblivion – Competition!
- A Thousand Words and The Black G.I.
- Diaspora Transcendentals – Program
- The Power of Place: The Pearl Bowser Collection In Action!
- The Diaspora Suite
- Alaska Is a Drag – Competition!
- Like It Is and Still/Here
- No Vietnamese Ever… – Regional Premiere!
- Night at the Museum Celebration
Friday, October 26th:
- Code Switch: Technology and Video Art
- Solace – Competition!
- Experimental & Animation – Competition!
- Documentary Shorts – Competition!
- Black Radical Imagination – Guest Program
- Boom for Real: The Late Teenage Years of Jean-Michel Basquiat
- Animated Sportraits
- United Skates – Competition!
- Freer Film Fridays
- Milford Graves Full Mantis – D.C. Premiere!
- Narrative Shorts – Competition!
Saturday, October 27th:
- Juried Competition Film Awards
- This is Not a “Political” Film… Part III – Guest Program
- Sankofa – 25th Anniversary!
- Ali – Guest Program
- Screening Truth to Power: Using the Power of Media to Influence Social Action
- Spit and Rock Rubber 45s
- Remnants of a Dream – Guest Program
- Closing Night Film Premiere & Party